You want to change as little as possible to reach the goal of losing weight. You don’t wish to exercise more. You don’t wish to change type of food you eat. You don’t wish to think about it a lot.
What can you do about it?
Lower calories intake.
Plan, do, check and act.
Search for information how much calories your body burns in one day (daily intake). Divide the number of calories by 100 and the number you get is your credit for a day.
For each food you want to consume find how many calories it has (you can search on https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search). If food is combined from more then one ingredient, search calories for ingredients. Adjust quantity, so that the number of calories is dividable by 100.
Divide the number of calories by 100. You get chips of value 1.
new_quantity = old_quantity * new_number_of_cal / old_number_of_cal
For each food you consume you pay a credit with a chip that belongs to. In one day you can not pay more that it is your credit for a day.
Be precise. Use a kitchen scale. Use table spoon or cup, if you have measures.
Weight yourself with personal scale at the same time every day. For example just after you wake up and just before you go to sleep.
Once a week compare your weight with the weight from one week before.
If your weight is not changed or it is increased, you have to lower your credit for a day. Else you keep the pace.
Let’s say that you eat and drink the same food every day. Let’s look a meal plan for one day.
Let’s say that your daily intake is 1600 kcal. You have 16 credits:
- Breakfast and Morning Snack: 2 chips
- 1 Cup Skim Milk – 35 kcal
- 1 Orange, medium – 62 kcal
- 1 1/2 Cups Cheerios Cereal – 57 kcal
- 1 Cup Cantaloupe Melon – 54 kcal
- Lunch: 6 chips
- Warm Quinoa Salad with Edamame & Tarragon – 463 kcal
- 1 Cup Skim Milk – 35 kcal
- 4 Ounces Fresh Pineapple – 55 kcal
- Afternoon Snack: 1 chip
- 2 Tablespoons Prepared Hummus – 53 kcal
- 4 Ounces Carrot Sticks – 45 kcal
- Dinner: 7 chips
- 2/3 Cup Cooked Brown Rice – 164 kcal
- 1/2 Cup Steamed Spinach – 117 kcal
- Grilled Steak with Fresh Corn Salad – 373 kcal
- 2/3 Cup Papaya – 65 kcal
After Breakfast and Morning Snack:
After Afternoon snack:
All credits are taken. You should stop to have meals.
After a week your weight is the same as week before.
Change the menu, so that you have 14 credits.
- Credits and chips are important abstraction over the numbers of calories. You deal with small number of small numbers. It’s easier to remember and calculate. Also you don’t have to think about calories.
- You can simplify plan and do phase. Minimize possible numbers of chips. It depends on how many meals do you want to have. For example, you have 16 credits. Chose meals with 4 or 8 chips and you can have meal plan for a day with 2 – 4 meals.
- If weight does not go down after a week, lower daily intake limit no more than 2 credits. Changes should be small.
- Do not forget to add number of calories of food that you drink. If you want to simplify, drink water.
- You will be hungry. Plan meals to minimize time, when you are hungry. It is not a goal that you are full.
- It’s about losing weight. Healthy diet is broader topic. Change of diet can have influence on your health.